Which mask for the coronavirus? It is one of the most asked questions nowadays due to the prevailing health crisis. The whole world is living with new coronavirus for such a long time. We can see no sign of improvement in the situation. The only way to avoid this is to take precautions. However, if we look at the USA’s condition, there are more than 4 million cases. There is no sign of the vaccine, but there are different research. However, till we get the vaccine we should take the following protections to avoid this deadly virus;
- Social distancing and avoid gatherings.
- Maintain hygiene by washing hands
- Wear face mask for the coronavirus
All of the above things are necessary to avoid this deadly situation. But wearing a face mask is of utmost importance and reduces the risk of infection by up to 70%.
Wearing a face mask for the COVID-19
“Wearing face masks is the new normal.”
If we take evidence from the CDC’s research papers, then wearing a face mask is the best guard. Coronavirus travels by droplets when germs enter into the mouth, nose, or ear. The research shows that droplets release through a sneeze and cough, which moves it through the air. So, according to the evidence from clinical and laboratory studies, face masks are best. Face covers help to reduce the spread mainly among people who are in close contact. So, along with a face mask, it is vital to keep a distance of 6 feet or at least 1.5 meters. Here are the People who should wear the face cover;
- CDC recommends face covers for people two years of age or older. It is vital in the public setting where it is hard to maintain distance.
- It is also vital for people who do not know whether they are infected or not. That’s why everyone must wear a cover in public places.
People who might have an infection:
People need to wear a cover if they think they have an infection. It is best if they can stay at home. But if they are interacting with someone, they should wear the cover. When a sick person wears the mask, it helps to contain the droplets from reaching others.
Caregivers of COVID-19:
Caregivers are people who are dealing with the worst situation of the disease. However, it does not matter whether they are in a medical setting or not. Apart from face covers, people should take preventive actions. So, try to protect your hands, nose, mouth, and eyes as much as possible.
Do face masks help to prevent the spread of COVID?
It was a myth at the start of the virus that the face mask does not contain the spread. But we found out that wasn’t right, and face covering is a very healthy practice in a pandemic. If you go somewhere, then there would be some people who are not showing symptoms. So, asymptomatic people are at high risk of spreading the disease hence, everyone should wear a face cover. In short, wearing face cover protects you and others from this deadly virus.
Types of the face mask;
Before heading further, it is good to know about the different types of masks. Here are the following types that are available in the market to protect people;
- Professional respirators
- Procedural and surgical masks
- Cloth or paper face covers
Which mask for the coronavirus?
The answer to this question solely depends on the setting in which you are living or working. However, here are the following working specifications of each type of mask;
The other name of the professional respirator is the N95 and made with the tangled fibers. However, it is beneficial for people who face corona daily. The N95 meet all the requirements set by the national institute for occupational safety and health (NIOSH). According to studies, the diameter of the COVID—19 is 125 nanometers (nm). However, N95 can filter up to 95% of the particles 100 to 300 nm in size. Health care workers who use this mask go through a fit-test to ensure a tight seal. However, it is a little expensive and best for front-line workers. Here is the article on how to get this mask.
There are various types of surgical masks available in the market. Usually, the single-use masks come in the rectangular shape that covers the nose, mouth, and jawline. Unlike the N95 cover, no NIOSH filtration standards are vital to meet. However, surgical masks are not as effective as N95. But it is suitable for the general public and provides some protection against larger respiratory droplets.
Cloth or paper face masks
According to the CDC, wearing cloth face covering is vital to stop the spread of the virus. However, these are the least effective at protecting the wearer due to more significant gaps. But researchers consider cloth face mask an effective way to contain the spread. They are far better than no mask at all, and they are available in 2 or 3-ply. You can find cloth face mask here.
What are the pros and cons of wearing face masks?
As the world is facing a pandemic, so wearing a face cover is standard in every part of the world. Some countries have rules to cover the face whenever you are going out of the house. But it is also a reality that everything comes with effects, so it is the same for COVID-19. Here are the following pros and cons of wearing face covers;
Pros of wearing the mask
The world is facing lockdowns and forced to wear face masks due to the prevailing situation. According to the directions of the CDC and “WHO,” you should wear face cover even if you are feeling fine. However, if we look from the angle of the recent situation then these are the pros;
Helps to stay protected
Mask is the most useful way to keep yourself protected in the current situation. It is a fact that you do not know whether the person who is by you is infected or not. In this situation, if you are wearing a cover, then you will stay protected. But apart from the mask, it is good to keep a distance of at least 6 feet.
Mask protects other people.
As discussed above, Masks are best to block droplets and reduce the spread of up to 70%. If you are an asymptomatic COVID-19 patient but you do not know it a mask will prevent you from spreading the disease. However, if you are not wearing masks while going out, then, you could spread it to others. A face mask is the only way to keep you and other people safe.
It keeps you safe from other germs.
Apart from the recent pandemic, masks are best to protect people from germs. If we look around, then many viruses are harmful to human health. Along with bacteria, dust, pollen allergy, and viral infections need a mask. In short, covers are best to wear even after COVID.
Some real-life pros of wearing a face mask:
- Face covers are beneficial to contain the spread of the virus. According to science times, the number of cases fell from 90 to 10 cases per million. It all happened due to the rule of wearing face cover.
- According to daily mail, Austria reversed the curve of COVID infections by following the mask’s mandatory rule. Apart from these countries, the Czech Republic and Slovakia did the same. However, they succeeded and won the situation with a low rate of infection.
Cons of wearing face masks
Along with pros, masks are bringing barriers and problems in human life. Although there is less scientific evidence against it because it can discourage people from wearing covers. Still, here are the following cons of wearing masks;
- The dangers of wearing masks include airway resistance and the growth of carbon dioxide.
- Apart from this, you can also feel headaches, less oxygen supply issues, and even life-threatening complications.
- It could be life-threatening for kids under two years of age, and it can create a breathing problem.
Some real-life cons of wearing the mask;
- In National Taiwan university’s study, they found out that different health care people are dealing with issues. Low oxygen levels in blood, hypercapnia, hypoxemia, and an increase in blood’s carbon dioxide
- Some medical professionals are facing headaches and breathing problems due to continually wearing N95 covers.
Does it matter what sort of mask you wear?
Yes. As different masks are for varying levels of protection. So, here are the following types of the best coronavirus masks suitable for people;
- N95 respirator masks are best for front line workers who deal with the situation daily. However, these types of covers are costly and limited in supply. But they are the best according to the NIOSH’s guidelines.
- Surgical masks are best for the second line workers who face the virus. They are less expensive than the N95 cover and readily available. The US center for disease control and prevention suggest wearing something even if it is a bandana.
- Cloth face masks are suitable for general people. They are very economical, and unlike surgical covers, they are reusable. So, you do not need to invest the money again and again on the same thing. However, these masks are readily available at a broad level to the general public at a lower price. You can get more information about cloth face mask covers here.
After reading the whole discussion, we concluded that wearing a face mask is vital. If we see the CDC and “WHO,” you should cover the face cover to stop it. But it is crucial to choose masks according to the setting in which you live. For instance, if you only go to the grocery, you do not need to wear N95. It is suitable for front line workers, and excessive purchases can create a shortage. It is ideal for ordinary people to wear a cloth face mask as they are affordable and reusable. In short, wearing a face mask for masses is vital. However, it does not matter if it is cloth or surgical cover.