Getting your dog protected this winter should be your priority. Good dog winter coats aren’t just long-lasting; they give you good value for your money.
To help you out, here are some best-reviewed Amazon dog coats for small and large dogs.
1. RC Pet Products Whistler Winter Wear: Click the image for the lastest pricing on Amazon
To find the right size for your furry friend, simply use a tape measure to determine your dog’s chest circumference. Then you can match the chest girth with RC Pet Products available sizes.
This dog coat is designed with comfort in mind. Made with double-layer fleece, maximum warmth is guaranteed.
Another special thing about this product is its T-shaped chest panel. The chest panel is made in such a way that your pet has enough mobility.
- One of the most affordable dog coats on the market
- High-quality double-fleece material that actually keeps your dog warm
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Accessible welt slit leash in the coat
- The coat is reported to be too hard at the Velcro region
2. Derby Originals: Click image below for the Latest pricing
This product is great for mild winters. While it’s not heavily padded like most dog coats, it does work well. With a waterproof outer shell, this model is good for both winter and spring weather—when the rain starts coming.
This brand acts more like a blanket than a coat so taking this coat on and off is no hassle.
Also, this dog coat is noticeably made with an elastic adjustable belly wrap; this strap comes with a fast-grip closure and aids easy wearing on your pooch.
- This brand is waterproof so you can use it for snowy and rainy water conditions
- The adjustable belly wrap is elastic, making it easy to wear
- It is designed with one (small size) or two (big size) front buckle closures for easy fitting
- Comfortable around the dog’s neck
- Not thick and padded enough for tough winters. However, if your dog is very active (capable of generating his own heat), you should consider this coat
3. Hurtta Extreme Warmer Dog Winter Jacket: Click the image to get the latest price
This model wins with its adjustability feature. This means you can customize this dog coat to fit your dog.
The waist of the coat. as well as its size and collar are very adjustable.
Hurtta Extreme is not only functional but also well designed for the cold.
The foil lining material is effective in keeping your dog warm for as long as possible. So if your dog is shorthaired, this coat can be of great help.
However, if your dog is very active and generates a lot of body heat, this coat might overheat your dog and give them problems.
- Very effective in keeping in your dog warm at an optimum level—good for short-haired dogs
- Nice adjustability in the waist and neck for optimal dog comfort
- Available in a variety of sizes: measure out the dog’s chest circumference find the right dimension
- The material is strong and has heavy-duty materials, so it’s good value for money
- Gets too warm for overactive dog breeds or long-haired dogs
4. Gooby Cold Weather Fleece Lined Sports Dog Vest: click the image to get the latest price
Gooby is a big name in doggy comfort and warmth.
This particular model doesn’t disappoint—packed with nice features to keep you and your dog happy.
The fleece material of this coat is comfortable and effective.
The outer shell is waterproof so the playing in the snow shouldn’t be a problem.
Designed with a three-point Velcro closure, getting the coat on and off is easy.
No time-wasting or awkwardness. Just get it on and go.
Lastly, this model has one special feature: the reflective lining. This gives your dog visibility at nighttime or when taken off-leash during evening walks.
- The three-point Velcro closure allows for easy removal and convenience
- It comes with a leash attachment on the back that can also serve as a vest harness.
- Waterproof outer shell
- Fleece material for comfort and warmth
- Made with reflective lining for night walks in the park
- Reported problems with sizing. You might have to buy XL when you need LX
5. Kurgo North Country Dog Coat: Click the image to get the lastest price
For mild conditions, this coat is just perfect.
While this model is effective, it’s not too warm to hurt your pet.
Designed with a comfortable inner and outer shell, this dog coat is durable and tough enough to protect your dog from the element.
Fitted with an LED light strip, you can also enjoy night walks with your furry friend with this coat—without worrying about your dog straying.
Another nice feature of this dog coat is its adjustability; sadly, you can only adjust via a belt buckle in the belly region.
- Great for mild climates and long-haired pets
- Durable, waterproof and can be cleaned with a washing machine
- Fitted with LED light to aid night visibility and safety
- Product comes with a lifetime warranty
- Reportedly too short for big dogs
1. RC Pet Products Packable Dog Rain Poncho: Click the image below to get the latest pricing
- Very affordable
- Durable for extreme conditions and waterproof
- packs up quite nicely in a small vinyl pouch,” and can
- Comfortable lightweight material
- Not suitable for harsh winter conditions
2. Zack & Zoey Polyester Nor’easter Dog Blanket Coat: Click the image to get the latest pricing
- Thick outer shell and warm inner shell
- Waterproof and windproof
- Not very adjustable
3. JoyDaog 2 Layers Fleece Lined Warm Dog Jacket: Click the image below to get the latest pricing
- Soft inside shell
- Well-tailored for dogs and comfortable
- Windproof, but not waterproof
4. Fitwarm Waterproof Pet Clothes: Click the image below for the latest pricing
- Covers all four legs and pet’s belly.
- Snug and allows for easy mobility
5. PAWZ Road Large Dog Plaid Shirt Coat: Click the image below for the latest price
- Perfect for freezing weather
- Cute and fashionable
- Come with fur on the hood for head warmth
- Designed with a functional pocket to store treats
- Hood might be a problem for some breeds
6. SafetyPUP XD Hi-Vis Fluorescent Reflective Dog Vest: Click the image below for the latest price
- Comes with a reflective flash for night visibility
- light durable material protecting the dog against the elements
- Might not be suitable for harsh weather
7. Friends Forever Sherpa and Quilted Winter Vest: Click the image below for the latest price
- Stylish and functional
- Faux fur trim on the hood to warm head
- Made with Sherpa lining for more warmth
- Adjustable drawstring to make the coat more secure
- Not great for long-haired dogs
- Hood might not be comfortable for some breed
Before buying a dog coat
Before investing in a dog coat, the first thing you have to consider is size. Getting good value for your money means getting the size that fits properly on your pet. It doesn’t just have to fit; it must be easy to get off and on.
To get the right size, measure your pet’s chest circumference and match it to the size chart put out by dog coat manufacturers.
One important thing about sizing is that not all products are designed with the same size. Size L of one brand might not be as big as Size L of another.
Asides the girth of your pooch, you should look at the length of your pet’s body. Even with equal chest girth, breeds are longer compared to others. Ensuring the coat covers the length of your dog means you have to notice the coat length.
Dog coats come in an array of materials. From rubber to leather to fleece to nylon, you have to be sure of what you want for your pet. Each material has its own advantage and disadvantage—you need to consider them all.
Leather and rubber are, of course, heavier than fleece and nylon. However, leather and rubber are the perfect insulators. Leather, for instance, when well stitched effectively can protect your dog in any weather.
A smart move is purchasing a coat with a blend of materials. This combination can help balance the disadvantages of these materials. For instance, a fleece-layered interior will keep the dog warm while a nylon exterior will keep water out. With this blend, you are getting water-resistance and warmth.
Design is very vital for comfort. You want a dog coat you can adjust and take off with ease. Too many buckles or zippers will get too clumsy for you and your pet.
The best models are easy to wear and take off. So look out for smart features like snap-on buckles and Velcro closures when getting a dog coat.
Of course, ensure your dog’s legs aren’t impeded. Comfort should be your main target when selecting a dog coat.
If you keep your dog outside you might like this article on outdoor heated dog houses.
If you ever need a hand or have a question, feel free to leave them below and I will be more than happy to help you out.
All the best,